Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Gabor-ing



The Rescuers (1977)

Rated: G

Runtime: 77 minutes

Princess/Heroine: Miss Bianca

Prince/Hero: Bernard

Sidekicks: Evinrude, Orville, Penny, Rufus

Villain: Madame Medusa, Mr. Snoops, Brutus, Nero

Music: “The Journey”, “Rescue Aid Society”, “Someone’s Waiting for You”, “Tomorrow is Another Day”

Rating—out of 5 Mickey Mouse ears: 2 ½ ears. ½ for Miss Bianca, ½ for Bernard, 1 for Rufus, and ½ for Madame Medusa.

Hmmm. Unexpectedly bad. I thought it would be a fun adventure. But it was not good on so many levels. Miss Bianca and Bernard were an ok tandem. Madame Medusa was a poor man’s poor Cruella de Vil. The music made me uncomfortable and want to turn it off. The best part of the movie was Rufus the cat. I am not sure how this movie got such a high rating. I can’t believe they made a sequel. At least I am one movie closer to the better ones.

I don’t think there is a middle ground to take on this movie. You probably love it or hate it. I don’t like to use the word hate (especially about Disney-related things), but I am definitely leaning that way. You have to watch it to say you did, but I don’t think many people will pick it in the bracket.

No comments:

Post a Comment