Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Fang can score from any position



Kung Fu Dunk (2008)

Rated: Unrated

Runtime: 99 minutes

Stars: Jay Chou, Eric Tsang, Charlene Choi

Director: Chu Yen-Ping

Plot: Fang Shijie (Jay Chou) is the “Basketball Orphan”. As a baby, he was found alone in a field next to a basketball court, and then left in the hands of a kung fu master. After being expelled from his kung fu school, Fang is discovered by Zhen Li (Eric Tsang) while throwing and kicking cans long distance into a trash can. Li convinces Fang to attend First University, where Fang falls for Lily (Charlene Choi), the basketball team’s water-girl.

Rating—out of 5 basketballs: 2 basketballs: 1 for my recommendation of the movie and 1 for Jay Chou’s musical abilities (You're welcome, Callie.)

Tournament Seed: 10–12—movie is a sleeper, primed to upset a higher seed. Don’t be surprised if other people jump on the bandwagon when the brackets are released. It could play its way into the sweet 16.

Kung fu and basketball. What more could you ask for? The basketball action is great, so much better than Slam Dunk Ernest or Like Mike. Jay Chou does some sweet breakdancing/kung fu to score from all areas of the court. And I am sure Chou had his hands all over the music/score, because that is a major addition to the movie as well. There was an interesting scene where Fang is drunk and seeing the world through a bottle of alcohol, and I found it cool that the team's uniforms looked like cans of Red Bull. The smooth transition between basketball and kung fu make the movie enjoyable to watch, whether it be Fang’s master “altering the universe”, the rival Fireball team and their aggressive style of play, or the kung fu trickery used by First University in their attempt to win the championship game. But it all comes down to Fang and his superior shooting skills. He is like the Taiwanese version of Jimmy Chitwood. If you don’t get that reference, be patient. It will all make sense when I get to my 31st movie review.

Overall, the movie is fun, and has a touch of sweetness to it. I feel that it is best represented in a scene where Fang reveals his true feelings to Lily:

Fang: “I liked ice cream so much when I was a kid. But I could never have it. So I would do anything to get a little bit of ice cream. You’re just like ice cream.”

3 comments:

  1. Jimmy Chitwood has a sweet shot! But his greatest contribution to the team? Character. "Coach stays, I play. Coach goes, I go." Way to lead by example Jimmy!

    So I still haven't listened to the Jay Chou CD Callie made for me. It up and disappeared in the move to Hanover, but I haven't finished unpacking/organizing, so I think it will turn up. So was this dubbed or subbed? If it was dubbed, how was the quality? And does it compare favorably to Kung Fu Hustle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha.....I haven't read your blog comments yet because I'm L-ing my A off over the title. Oh, what promise this has.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. N: It is subbed. The movie is good, but Kung Fu Hustle is awesome!

    E: I am glad you liked the title. I think you would enjoy this film :)

    ReplyDelete