Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Magic Shoes 2: Electric Boogaloo



Like Mike (2002)

Rated: PG

Runtime: 99 minutes

Stars: Bow Wow, Morris Chestnut, Crispin Glover, Eugene Levy, Jonathan Lipnicki, Brenda Song

Director: John Schultz

Plot: Calvin (Bow Wow) is an orphan who acquires a pair of old sneakers with “MJ” written inside, leading him to believe the shoes used to belong to Michael Jordan. He quickly gets signed to the Los Angeles Knights after showing off his skills against Tracy Reynolds (Morris Chestnut), an emotionally troubled NBA star and Calvin’s soon-to-be teammate. Stan Bittleman (Crispin Glover) is the mean greedy director of the orphanage where Calvin lives, and Frank Bernard (Eugene Levy) is the sneaky greedy … um … uh … assistant to the traveling secretary for the Knights, and they both try to use Calvin to get his money. Along the way, Calvin is helped by his best friends and fellow orphans Murph (Jonathan Lipnicki) and Reg (Brenda Song).

Rating—out of 5 basketballs: 1 basketball for the unexpectedness of a certain event I will explain later.

Tournament Seed: 13–15—movie hangs around with higher seed for the 1st half, but the 2nd half results in a blowout. Only advances in the tournament if matched up with an overrated team. Pick with caution.

This movie is loaded with at the time current NBA stars such as Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, and David Robinson. With that being said, the movie doesn’t have much else to offer. The music is just your basic bad hip-hop selection, and the montages consist of some naughty cheerleader dancing and Calvin doing the same impossible moves Ernest was doing in Slam Dunk Ernest. The movie does play at your heart strings on occasion with the orphan angle and the unexplained distance between Tracy and his father, but you know how it is going to turn out in the end … though I was worried about Reg being left alone, until the movie showed a picture of her with her new family seconds before it ended. I found it funny that the movie chose to have Vince Carter and the Raptors as the team to blow the lead in the final game; Carter couldn’t even hold a 21 point 4th quarter lead against a 5-foot-tall kid barely in his teens.

The movie earns 1 basketball because I am a sucker for a Crispin Glover film in which a lightning strike causes the main character to have a life-changing event. In this case Calvin and the sneakers are struck by lightning, and 90 minutes of magic follow. If I could only remember the name of the other movie involving Glover and lightning and a life-changing event …

I did get one big laugh out of the movie. Calvin is informed by one of his teammates after talking to Allen Iverson, that “Players don’t ask players for autographs.” Later in the film after Calvin becomes famous, he shares this intimate moment with NBA superstar Dirk Nowitzki:

Dirk: “Hey Calvin! Listen man, uh, can I get your autograph?”
Calvin: “Sure Dirk.”
Dirk: “Uh, it’s actually for my niece.”
Calvin: “What’s her name?”
Dirk: “Uh, it’s, uh, Dirk.”

4 comments:

  1. So.....this blog stimulates the crap outta my self-diagnosed ADD...[Brenda Song] the girl I ALWAYS wanna temple-fong when forced into a Disney night with my daughter. Also, the girl who is impregnated by Miley Cyrus's brother...he looks way wonked out, but his multiple piercings and whispy emo haircut make him WAY more DTE (down to earth) than Miley's dad....Billy effin' Ray?? Bow-Wow....unfortunate (?) nefew of Snoop. Per Salty, I whilst rent with caution, but if history repeats its self and Crispin Glover's lightning strikes can bring me "Back to the Future" I may find some merit in this li'l beaut!! TY SALTY!! LLS....Long Live Salty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. E: I have no idea what "temple-fong" means...and I can't understand how anyone can be "forced" into Disney night. They have some pretty awesome shows that I watch, and the ones on Nickelodeon are just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. iCarly is the shit! I agree with Jeff, and Brenda Song is both hot and a little crazy, so she's one of my Disney favorites. I want to get a piece of her Wendy Wu, if you know what I mean. As for Like Mike, I wonder what would happen in a Bow Wow, Ernest one on one matchup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should be so lucky to get harnessed into a "cool" Disney evening. Remember, my daughter is still pre-kindergarden so its not like I get to watch my old fave "Even Stevens" or some of the newer stuff like "Wizards".....its all baby poo-pootoons. The best I can hope for is "Finneas and Ferb". iCarly is Awesome!!! However, Em gets a pinch mouthy and tries to emulate Carli's blond sarcastic friend.

    Temple fong is a repetitive beating to the temple.....

    ReplyDelete