Pages

Saturday, March 6, 2021

Poor Edward


Fight Club (1999)

Rating: R

Run Time: 139 minutes

Box Office (in today’s dollars): 53 million (approximately)

Characters: The Narrator, Tyler Durden, Marla Singer, Robert “Bob” Paulson, Richard Chesler

Favorite Quote: “The first rule of fight club is you don’t talk about fight club. The second rule of fight club is you don’t talk about fight club.

Favorite Scene: When Edward Norton and Brad Pitt enter Lou’s Bar

Favorite Character: Tyler Durden

Other need-to-see nineties movies directed by David Fincher: Seven

This was a tough call when choosing between Seven and Fight Club as the David Fincher movie of the nineties. I hope I made the right choice. It is probably for the best to not have two Kevin Spacey movies (the other being The Usual Suspects) on my necessary nineties list. So, to the Fight Club review!! There are not a lot of characters in the movie (only about 4 or 5 major ones) to choose from. Marla is great, and everyone loved Bitch Tits Bob. I chose Tyler Durden. Brad Pitt was so cool. Everyone wanted to be him. There were, however, many quotes to choose from. “How’s that working out for you? Being clever?” is hilarious. “The condom is the glass slipper of our generation” and “Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken” are naughty. “I want you to hit me as hard as you can” is a close second to what is probably the most memorable quote in the movie (also my favorite). I am not supposed to talk about it. So, I won’t.

My favorite scene from the movie is very similar to my favorite scene from another movie I reviewed on my necessary nineties movie list, Dazed and Confused. In that film, three characters enter the Emporium and ooze cool. In this film, it is two characters entering Lou’s Bar. They also ooze cool, but the coolest thing about the scene is that “Goin’ Out West” by Tom Waits is playing. In case you haven’t caught on by now, all of my nineties movies reviews have a Tom Waits song as the title. I can’t remember why I chose to do it, I just thought it would be fun. And who knew that a Tom Waits song would pop up in one of the movies!!

Speaking of songs, the end scene of the movie is not only mind blowing (see what I did there?), but the song playing is “Where Is My Mind?” by the Pixies. I can’t think of a more perfect song for that ending. Only one more movie to go on my list before the tournament begins!!

Next movie to review: Being John Malkovich

 

No comments:

Post a Comment