Pages

Monday, January 1, 2018

Just The Right Bullets



Pulp Fiction (1994)

Rating: R

Runtime: 154 minutes

Box Office (in today’s dollars): 173 million (approximately)

Characters: Jules Winnfield, Vincent Vega, Mia Wallace, Butch Coolidge, Marsellus Wallace, Fabienne, Pumpkin, Honey Bunny, Lance, Jody, Trudi, Zed, Maynard, The Gimp, Marvin, Jimmie, The Wolf, Esmarelda Villalobos, Captain Koons

Favorite Quote: Mia Wallace’s Fox Force Five joke (spoiler alert ... it’s about a family of tomatoes and ketchup)

Favorite Scene: Mia and Vincent’s dinner date at Jack Rabbit Slim’s

Favorite Character: Mia Wallace

Other need-to-see nineties movies directed by Quentin Tarantino: Reservoir Dogs

After watching this movie for my review, I realized it had been about twenty years since I had last seen it. I think twenty years ago Jeff probably viewed this movie a lot differently. Jules was probably my favorite character then (he had a bad mother fucker wallet!!). Now, it is Mia Wallace. I still love Jules, and there were several other characters that were great and worthy of favorite status (Vincent, Butch, Marsellus, The Wolf), but Mia is amazing. Every scene she is in you can’t take your eyes off her. She’s cool, funny, and she can dance. Not only is she my favorite character, she delivers my favorite quote from the movie and she is in my favorite scene.

I have been known to tell a pun or two in my time, so when Mia tells her Fox Force Five joke, I knew that would be my choice for favorite quote. As for favorite scene, I picked Mia and Vincent’s conversation before/during their dinner at Jack Rabbit Slim’s. I am sure most people would choose the twist contest or the overdose/needle scene, and I almost went with the Jules and Vincent breakfast scene. But the back and forth between Mia and Vincent is so cool and funny, and you can totally see/feel the tension building between them of something that could have been. It’s kind of like the opposite of every one of the first dates that I ever went on.

One of the most talked about things from the movie is the briefcase. What is inside?? I am ok with it never being revealed. My guess would be Larry Bird’s jersey, or maybe a copy of Back to the Future on VHS. One of the least talked about things from the movie is Jack Rabbit Slim’s. I would eat there all the time if it were in my town. Pretty sure my go-to meal would have been the Slim’s Famous Speedburger, Cherry Coke, and a slice of pumpkin pie. Total bill (with tip): $22.00. Oh, and a Five Dollar Shake.

Next movie to review: Clerks

No comments:

Post a Comment