Pages

Friday, July 3, 2015

I love Uranus



Spaceballs (1987)

Rating: PG

Runtime: 96 minutes

Box Office (in today’s dollars): 78 million (approximately)

Characters: Captain Lone Star, Barfolomew, Princess Vespa, Dot Matrix, Lord Dark Helmet, Colonel Sandurz, President Skroob, Pizza the Hut, Yogurt

Cool Stuff: Eagle 5

Cool Music: “Spaceballs”

Cool Quote: “May the Schwartz be with you.”

This movie is full of puns, which is what I spend most of my day trying to come up with ... so of course I laughed a lot. It is also full of language and innuendo, which I try to stay away from in my puns ... so this movie (although rated PG) is probably not for kids. I wonder how other Star Wars fans feel about this movie (it being a parody and all). I think the characters in this are great; Lone Star, Barfolomew, Princess Vespa, Dot Matrix, Dark Helmet, and Yogurt are all funny.... Pizza the Hut is pretty gross, but possibly delicious. The opening to the movie has the Star Wars crawl and a ridiculously big ship called Spaceball 1 doing the flyby.

Lone Star’s ship: the Eagle 5 is the Millennium Falcon of its time, and by that I mean it’s a Winnebago with wings. It’s pretty cool and allows plenty of room for dancing to any of Bon Jovi’s greatest hits. Speaking of great hits, the song “Spaceballs” is fun. It’s no “NeverEnding Story” or “Ghostbusters”, but I would put it on a CD and breakdance to it. Like I said before, there are a lot of great puns in the movie, so coming up with coolest quote took some time. I had to sort through classic lines like “Your helmet is so big” and “I bet she gives great helmet” and “I see your Schwartz is as big as mine”. I’ll skip the naughty and go with the classic “May the Schwartz be with you.”

It seems strange that I have only seen one other Mel Brooks movie (the other being Robin Hood: Men in Tights); I should—and probably will someday—see Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. But it isn’t so weird because there are a lot of movies I haven’t seen that I probably should have at this point in my life: The Godfather, The Godfather II, and Smokey and the Bandit. But since none of those movies came out in the eighties, Salty Chewbacca won’t be watching any of those for a while.

Next movie to review: The Princess Bride

1 comment:

  1. Huh, not often you see Godfather I & II in any way compared to Smokey and the Bandit. Well done!

    Seriously though, you need to get on some Mel Brooks. The man is a national treasure!

    ReplyDelete