Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Jungle Boogie



The Jungle Book (1967)

Rated: G

Runtime: 78 minutes

Princess/Heroine: none

Prince/Hero: Mowgli

Sidekicks: Bagheera, Baloo, Colonel Hathi, King Louie

Villain: Kaa, Shere Kahn

Music: “The Bare Necessities”, “Colonel Hathi’s March”, “I Wan’na Be Like You”, “My Own Home”, “That’s What Friends Are For”, “Trust in Me”

Rating—out of 5 Mickey Mouse ears: 4 ½ ears. 1 for Mowgli, 1 for Bagheera/Baloo/Colonel Hathi/King Louie, 1 for Shere Kahn, and 1 ½ for two awesome songs.

After years of somehow avoiding seeing this movie (several times my former boss Rebecca played this move at work), a Salty review is finally here! Sadly there is no princess ... but Mowgli is a fun little man cub. He is surrounded by several strong characters: Bagheera the panther, Baloo the bear, Colonel Hathi the elephant, and King Louie the orangutan. Kaa the python is a great mini-villain, but he is overshadowed by the awesomeness of Shere Kahn the tiger. The music is fantastic, with two top-tier songs: “The Bare Necessities” and “I Wan’na Be Like You”.

I wish I had seen this movie as a kid. It was one of the best ones I have seen so far. Oh, and Mowgli does “The Sloppy Swish” which hadn’t happened in a while, so that was cool. Lots of great things happen in this movie and should help it perform well in the bracket. And now I can talk about this movie with all the cool kids!

1 comment: