Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2020

Soldier's Things

 

The Iron Giant (1999)

Rating: PG

Runtime: 87 minutes

Box Office (in today’s dollars): 33 million (approximately)

Characters: The Iron Giant, Hogarth Hughes, Annie Hughes, Dean McCoppin, Kent Mansley, General Rogard

Favorite Quote: “Here, pretend you’re a gangster.”

Favorite Scene: When Iron Giant flies like Superman and sacrifices himself to save the town

Favorite Character: The Iron Giant

Other need-to-see nineties movies directed by Brad Bird: none

The third and final animated movie on my 90s movie list. I am not sure they could be any more different. Toy Story was G and for the kids, South Park was R and for the adults, and this movie was right in the middle. I can’t be positive that the town in the movie (Rockwell) was a shout out to the real-life town (Roswell) . . . but the Iron Giant was an alien/robot and there was a UFO in New Mexico. The truth is out there!! There are not many characters to chose from for favorite, but even if there were, I would choose the Iron Giant anyway. Hogarth’s mom Annie is cool, Dean McCoppin is weird, and Kent Mansley is a jerk; although he does say my favorite quote. I am not sure why it makes me laugh so much, or why I didn’t pick “I am not a gun”, or “Souls don’t die.”

There are several heart-breaking moments in the film that would make just about anyone cry. When Iron Giant does his best Superman impression (my favorite scene), and when his parts are finding their way back to each other at the end are about as perfect as you will ever see. I am not sure why this movie didn’t do better at the box office. Maybe people were not ready for a non-Disney/Pixar movie to succeed. Side note: Chicken Run was a top 20 movie the next year and Shrek was the second most successful movie in 2001. Too soon Iron Giant, too soon!!

At some point in the movie Hogarth calls Iron Giant a “Bad robot!!” I always thought this is where J.J. Abrams got the name of his production company from. He claims it is not and that the name “came to him” during a meeting. Not sure if I believe that…but it always makes me think of LOST (a J.J. Abrams creation and my favorite tv show of all time). I have yet to find a show that has made my feel the same way since its run from 2004 to 2010. If only I could go back.

Next movie to review: The Sixth Sense

No comments:

Post a Comment