Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Someone call Benson and Stabler



Fun and Fancy Free (1947)

Rated: G

Runtime: 73 minutes

Princess/Heroine: none

Prince/Hero: Bongo, Mickey Mouse

Sidekicks: Donald Duck, Goofy, Jiminy Cricket

Villain: Lumpjaw, Willie the Giant

Music: “Fun and Fancy Free”, “Lazy Countryside”, “My Favorite Dream”, “My What a Happy Day”, “Say It With a Slap”, “Too Good to be True”

Rating—out of 5 Mickey Mouse ears: 1 ½ ears. 1 for Bongo/Mickey, ½ for Donald Duck/Goofy/Jiminy Cricket, 1 for Lumpjaw/Willie the Giant, minus 1 for the party I will talk about later.

This movie is 2 short movies; Bongo is a circus bear that does a pretty good job beating up a big bear and gets the girl; Mickey Mouse is a giant killer and pulls off a Doc Brown move to rescue the golden harp. Donald Duck, Goofy, and Jiminy Cricket are ok in their roles. Lumpjaw is ok as the mean bear; Willie the Giant plays basketball so that is pretty awesome. The music is ok, pretty much forgettable.

I thought I had seen the Mickey and the Beanstalk segment before, but what I actually saw as a kid was Brave Little Tailor ... another movie in which Mickey Mouse battles a giant. The movie loses points for its absolutely CREEPY ventriloquist/dummies/old man/little girl/alcohol party. I can’t get this one out of the bracket quick enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment